A friend asked me to make some sloppy joes, so I created this recipe. I’m happy with how it turned out and will make it again. It was hearty and tasty. I paired it with my cajun yam fries and served on a toasted whole wheat bun.
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 15oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- Boil lentils in the water for 10-20 minutes until almost soft.
- Sauté the onion, pepper, and garlic.
- Add chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper flakes, tomatoes, paste, and vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add syrup and mustard then stir.
- Serve and Enjoy!