The house was filled with the scent of sage, yams, and thyme as this soup cooked. It smelled delicious, and tasted even better. My wife and I gobbled it up and went back for seconds. Maybe make a double batch, so you can bring some for lunch.
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 gloves of garlic, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 large Garnet yam (sweet potato), chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- Cook onion and garlic in pot with some water.
- Add celery, yam, red pepper, thyme, sage, cumin, and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low until yam is cooked.
- Add beans and cook until beans are warm.
Makes 4-6 servings
Inspired by: Ola’s South West Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup