I used to love eating fruit rollups as a kid. The problem is they are filled with a lot more than fruit including things I didn’t want to eat like the added chemicals and sugar. It turns out making them at home is easy. I thought a dehydrated was required, but it is easier done in an oven.
To make a basic apple leather you need to find some apples. I am lucky to have an abundance of apples thanks to the trees of a friend. Clean the apples and then turn them into applesauce. The easiest way is to core them and blend them in a strong blender like a vita-mix. Leave the skins on for extra nutrition. Then bring to a boil in a large pot on the stove. I like to throw in a couple cinnamon sticks as well. I don’t add any sugar; it isn’t needed.
- cinnamon sticks
- line a baking sheet with foil. (a Silpat might work too). The dull side up seems to make it easier to peel later.
- pour the applesauce described above evenly on the sheet. I tend to get 3-4 cups in an even layer per sheet.
- put in the oven on warm (lowest setting. no need to pre-heat).
- bake for 6 to 8 hours or until firm and no longer wet.
- after it cools, carefully peel. store in the fridge if you can manage to avoid eating it all immediately.