This stew has a lot of flavor. The combination of the roasted veggies and the spices is very satisfying. It is great alone or with some bread. Make this soup today to keep yourself warm during this cold winter.
This stew takes some time to make, and it is very worth it! The quinoa adds a nice texture to this very creamy stew. To really make it special, serve it in a bread bowl.
- 3 cups peeled carrots, diced
- 3 cups peeled sweet potato, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons garlic, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cashew milk
- 2/3 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (earth balance)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Toss sweet potato, carrot, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, pepper flakes, and thyme in a large bowl.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and add mixture. Bake for 50 minutes ensuring nothing burns and everything is fork tender.
- When mixture is thoroughly roasted, start blending with broth until all is smooth. Add mixture and cashew milk into a large pot.
- Heat until bubbling and add dry quinoa. Cook for 20 minutes on medium.
- In another pot, candy walnuts, sugar, and butter over medium heat stirring constantly for 6-10 minutes. Set walnuts aside to cool.
- Spoon stew into bowls. Serve with walnuts on top.
Makes 12-13 cups.