Yesterday, was a cold and snowy day, and we were craving soup. The Pigeon Peas and Rice were all gone. We still had more pigeon peas. This savory soup fit the bill nicely.
As I mentioned in the last post, pigeon peas (pictured above) are tasty little legumes. They cook up similar to black beans. We like the slightly chewy skin of the peas.
This soup would go well with some chopped celery and garnished with some chopped cilantro.
- 4 cups cooked pigeon peas
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5oz
- 1 can diced green chilies, 4oz
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- In a medium pot, add the water, onion, and garlic. Cook until tender
- Add the tomatoes, green chilies, thyme, and cumin. Cook for about five minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and pigeon peas. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Makes: about four servings